Meet With Us !!!
Sierra Nevada Chapter 989 meets the 3rd Thursday of each Month at 1800 hours, inside VFW Post 9211, 255 VFW Historic Lane (formerly Burris Lane) in Reno. (Just off of Moana & Baker Lane)
“•” marks the spot!
Our recent accomplishments:
• VVA 989 received the Veteran Supporter of the Month award on April 24th at the Capital Building. Approximately 30 of our members were able to attend and be honored by Governor Sandoval and NDVS Director Kat Miller.
• We participated in Carson City, at Chapter 388’s Vietnam Veteran Remembrance Day Ceremonies on March 31.
• Several of our members provided assistance to the Moving Wall on Minden, Nevada in late May and early June. Members provided 24 hour security, aide and assistance to organizers, and served as docents providing assistance to visitors seeking information about the Wall, or finding the names of the fallen.
• We co-sponsered a Summer Picnic with several other veteran organizations: MOAA, AUSA and the Navy League.
• We have participated in several parades that included the Nevada Day Parade in Carson City, Reno Veterans Day Parade, and Sparks Hometowne Christmas Parade.
• We also participated in an Agent Orange awareness program at the Veterans Guest House on VeteransDay, and Wreaths Across America.
• Our Color Guard did the opening presentation for Reaching for Zero, suicide awareness brunch at the Governor’s Mansion at the State Capital.
• We provided Holiday Baskets of food and presents for several local National Guard families in need.
• We were able to have two delegates at this VVA National Convention in New Orleans.
• We received 1000 mens dress ties donated to the chapter which we were able to distribute to two college vet clubs, two veteran resource groups and two veteran assistance groups for veterans going to job interviews or needing them for their work.
• We participated in the annual VA Homeless Veteran Stand Down on September 22nd. Our chapter prepared breakfast for 260 attendees. Breakfast consisted of breakfast burritos (eggs, sausage and beans) hash browns, juice and fruit. All this was done over outside grills by 12 members and 3 supporters.
• On September 28, 29, and 30 we partnered with the Nevada Museum of Art in Reno to host the Take Me Home Huey Project. We had an outreach table outside with information about our chapter and VVA national as well as handing out DOD commemorative pins and literature.
• We have been promoting Suicide Prevention Month in September. One of our members has been named as a liaison to the Suicide Prevention committee at the Reno VA.
• Chapter 989 has become a commemorative partner with Department of Defense to recognize Vietnam Veterans.
• Several of our members have been participating in the Veterans In Care (VIC) program, partnering with Nevada Department of Veterans Service (NDVS) to recognize veterans in assisted or long term care settings with our color guard presenting colors. The most recent ceremony helped honor the oldest Nevada veteran, a WWII WAC.
• Several of our members have registered as unpaid veteran lobbyists for this legislative session. On March 15th we participated in the VAMDAL (Veteran and Military Day at the Legislature).
• We participated in the Reno Rodeo Parade in June and the Virginia City 4th of July Parade, with our members passing out Vietnam Poppies.
• Our Color Guard presented colors at the opening parade for Hot August Nights in Sparks, on Friday and Saturday. We are becoming a crowd favorite, according to the master of ceremonies. We performed an Agent Orange ceremony on Veterans Day at the Veterans Guest House.
• We have also donated to Adopt a Vet dental program, Veterans’ Guest House as well as several non-profits that feed the homeless.
• The Chapter has just completed its third year of providing local colleges with student scholarships for veterans returning to college. This year we gave out eight scholarships of $500 each.
• Our Vice-Chair Dee Garder and our President Linda Dickinson have been active on a committee to create a Women Veterans Memorial Garden at the VA hospital in Reno. The garden will be at the emergency room entrance, next to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Garden.